The Bucks Skills Show Online 2020:
- Helped motivate students after lockdown
- Showed students why subjects are relevant to real life – and why it matters!
- Inspired students to be positive about their futures
The event was split into two parts. The first part - ‘Bringing Lessons to Life’ - included speakers from businesses such as McAfee, Esri, Capgemini and BAM Construct who delivered a section of the curriculum and demonstrated how subjects are used in everyday jobs.
Teachers and students chose from a timetable of more than two dozen 30-minute employer-led 'careers in the curriculum' lessons for Year 9 students. A wide range of subjects were covered, from Maths and English to Physics and Music. Schools joined live on the day and asked the speakers some thought-provoking questions.
The speakers all spoke about their career journeys, giving young people a wealth of advice and helpful messages about routes into their industries and the skills required, such as resilience, problem solving, persistence and enthusiasm. They encouraged students to follow their interests and passions.
The second part of the event included two live webinars for 16-18 year-olds on labour market information and next steps. You can use these recordings in lessons and share with parents.
Where next: employment, education or apprenticeship?
Watch the webinar here >
Understanding the job market: what’s on your doorstep?
This webinar featured an update on the local economy post-COVID-19, as well as representatives from Buckinghamshire’s growth sectors – creative, space, health and care, digital, high performance engineering and construction. The aim of the session was to inform students about future career paths and inspire them about the great opportunities available to them. Speakers included Buckinghamshire Local Enterprise Partnership, Pinewood Studios, Cloudy IT, Flannery Plant Hire, Total Sim, Bucks Healthcare NHS Trust and Reaction Engines.
Watch the webinar here >
- Maths: Problem solving - BAM Construct https://youtu.be/2BaLnD8Y4tE
- History: Battle of Britain and aerial bombardment - Historic England https://youtu.be/UElNZTxl-3g
- SEND: Preparing for Adulthood - Buckinghamshire Council https://youtu.be/uV-tuAWJXcg
- PSHE: Living in the wider world: work and career - Buckinghamshire LEP https://youtu.be/o03KRO7utvo
- Spanish: Holidays - EKFB https://youtu.be/dACq5K1HorY
- English: Writing and researching for news - Bucks New University, Multimedia Journalism https://youtu.be/J4sRXWDxlIo
- Music: Composing to film - Freelance composer Will Farmer https://youtu.be/NpaaUJoEx84
- Media: Media language - Total Media Connect https://youtu.be/zFaGUmN_ho0
- Food tech: Food Preparation and Nutrition - Sodexo https://youtu.be/EBkXxZ55IfU
- SEND: Teamwork in digital workspace - BUDs https://youtu.be/7nrqTd5QLvo
- PE/Sports Science: Components of fitness - Leap https://youtu.be/UL6XtkQxeLs
- Business studies - ANT Telecom https://youtu.be/DlJ_1WOtRSE
- Maths: Ratio & Proportion - Galliford Try https://youtu.be/8jXPhX5hht8
- Maths: How data is used in medicine and the real world - PSI https://youtu.be/O_5vGMsZUpQ
- Science: Biology: Biodiversity - Align https://youtu.be/bNJItI5sNcA
- Geography: Ecosystems and climatic hazards - Esri https://youtu.be/KlF30E2bb7A
- Science: Physics: Energy and Efficiency - Ngage Solutions https://youtu.be/PeidbfvTNLQ
- English: Words and their importance in the world of work - Author Sharon Bolton https://youtu.be/c_oAZXd5n48
- SEND: Maths in a work setting - Adviza https://youtu.be/lA43-Lu3JbE
- Art and Design: Production Design - Production designer Duncan Howell https://youtu.be/mY3AMO-wp_Q
- French: Family and leisure activities - EKFB https://youtu.be/9EWloZx3Rk4
- ICT/Computer Science: Cyber Security - McAfee https://youtu.be/PtZjO2OlHwE
- Science: Chemistry: Periodic structure and the periodic table - University of Oxford https://youtu.be/YXM-tEDfuwM
- DT: Using CAD and CAM - KW Special Projects https://youtu.be/F_DlWd2pfSY
- PSHE: Living in the wider world: learning skills - Capgemini https://youtu.be/o8S1lQwNSFg