The Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism sector is one which has taken a hard hit in the aftermath of COVID-19, but can bounce back with vigour when the economy and life returns to normal. The population is crying out for some much needed R&R - which this sector thrives off - whether that’s an overnight stay in a hotel, a day out at a theme park, a family visit to the zoo or a romantic week away. The roles within this sector are vast and contribute to our ‘normal’ life greatly. In the period of 2016-2018, visitor spend in this area totalled £929 million.
FACTS AND FIGURES:
- Cliveden – the county’s top attraction - had over 495,000 visitors in 2018.
- Around 17,000 people work for Buckinghamshire’s core 1,600 hospitality, leisure and tourism businesses.
- Pre-COVID, there were 660 restaurants and 380 pubs and bars in Buckinghamshire- this has since fallen slightly but we are hoping it will rise again.
- In 2018, there were 317,000 visits to Buckinghamshire - an increase from 306,000 in 2017.
- For the period of 2016-2018, there were 18.3 million day trips to Buckinghamshire with a combined spend of £769 million and 2.3 million overnight visitors with a combined spend of £160 million.
Some of the key employers within the Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism sector are Compass Group
, Greene King
, Mitchells and Butlers
, William Hill
, Intercontinental Hotel Group
, Stoke Park
, Global Infusion Group
and Historic House Hotels
Why not visit their websites and see if your skills and qualifications match the roles they are looking to hire for? If you are keen to get into this workforce and need to up-skill or study further, see below for what routes you can take into one of these careers.
ROUTES INTO THE HOSPITALITY, LEISURE AND TOURISM SECTOR:
Use the list below as a starting point for what you could study in order to work within the Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism sector in Buckinghamshire.
- Bucks College Group offers a variety of courses from entry-level 3 Certificate in Hospitality Services to a level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery – check out their full range on their website.
- Bucks New University offers a range of Undergraduate Degrees, including International Tourism Management with Air Travel, Airline and Airport Management, Air Transport with Private Pilot Training, Events, Festival and Venue Management, Sport Management, Sport Marketing and more!
- Milton Keynes College offers a Marketing, Events and Tourism level 3 Diploma as well as other courses related to the Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism Sector.