Working in this sector requires dedication, passion and enthusiasm for making society a better place to live. There are many third sector roles that overlap with others, such as marketing, finance, business, HR, social care and more. Key roles include Project Management, Corporate Social Responsibility, Campaigning, Fundraising, Lobbying, Volunteer Management, and Counselling. Another name for the third sector is the 'Voluntary Sector’.
FACTS AND FIGURES:
- There are approximately 2,500 registered charities operating in Buckinghamshire.
- More widely, there are estimated to be approximately 13,800 civil society (including registered charities) and informal voluntary organisations in Buckinghamshire.
- Approximately 175,000 adults in Buckinghamshire volunteer in some capacity at least once a year.
- The majority of the voluntary sector workforce are women, with men making up a third of the total workforce in June 2018.
- The proportion of younger people (aged 16-34) working in the voluntary sector has increased by 3% since 2017, but the workforce remains older than other sectors, with 38% of employees aged 50 years and over compared to 35% for the public sector and 30% for the private sector.